Instant coffee brings out the chocolate flavor even more in these rich and luxurious truffles.
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4-6 servings
- 8 oz. bittersweet or dark chocolate bars, finely chopped (do not use chocolate chips)
- 2/3 c. heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. instant coffee powder
- 1 tbsp. butter, softened to room temperature
Possible toppings: Cocoa powder, chopped nuts, melted chocolate, chocolate sprinkles
- Place the chocolate, instant coffee and butter in a medium-sized, heat-proof bowl.
- Add the heavy cream to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Use a spatula to stir and scrape down the sides every few minutes.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate, coffee and butter. Let stand for 5 minutes. Then mix until smooth. Transfer to a shallow baking pan for faster cooling.
- Place in the refrigerator and let cool for 2 hours or until firm.
- Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop out the truffle mixture into mounds. Roll each 1 into a ball. The mixture will melt in your hands, so work quickly. Use a little butter on your hands to prevent the mixture from sticking.
- Place in refrigerator until completely chilled.
- Roll in topping of your choice and serve at room temperature.