Orange-Pomegranate Salad with Orange Champagne Vinaigrette
Orange Champagne Vinaigrette Ingredients:
1⁄4 c. citrus champagne vinegar
1 large clove garlic, smashed and peeled
2 T. honey, preferably local
1 t. Dijon mustard
1 t. orange zest, preferably organic 1⁄4 c. orange juice, freshly squeezed 1⁄2 c. extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 large pomegranate
1 large avocado, peeled and chopped
1 T. fresh lemon juice
6 c. mixed salad greens
1⁄2 medium red onion, sliced thin
1 large orange, sliced, peeled, and separated into bite-sized sections
2 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
1⁄4 c. pecan halves
1. To prepare the dressing, add the citrus champagne vinegar, garlic, honey, Dijon mustard, orange zest, and orange juice to a blender or food processor. Blend on high until completely smooth, approximately 1 minute.
2. If using a blender or processor with a vented top, slowly drizzle in the olive oil while blending, or add all at once if this isn’t possible. Season dressing with salt and black pepper, to taste, and blend until thoroughly emulsified. Transfer to a serving container and set aside.
3. Remove the pomegranate arils by slicing off the top and scoring down the sides in between the aril sections with a sharp knife. Carefully pull apart along the score lines and separate the red arils from the white pith. Place the arils in a small bowl and set aside.
4. Peel, chop and coat the avocado with the lemon juice to prevent browning.
5. Arrange the mixed greens on a large serving platter and top with the red onion, orange sections, avocado, and pomegranate arils. Top with the crumbled goat cheese and pecan halves. Drizzle with some of the orange champagne vinaigrette and serve immediately with the remaining dressing on the side. Enjoy!