Anything with bacon is always a good idea, and this risotto is no exception to the rule!
PREP TIME: 20 minutes | COOK TIME: 30 minutes | YIELD AMOUNT: 8 servings
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 pieces bacon
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ¼ c. white wine
- 2 lbs. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1½ c. arborio rice
- 4 c. vegetable broth
- 1 c. Parmesan, freshly grated
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Add the olive oil to a Dutch oven, then use kitchen scissors to cut the strips of bacon into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously to prevent the bacon from burning.
- Once lightly cooked (about 5 minutes), use a spatula to remove the bacon from the Dutch oven and place on a plate to the side.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter and a splash of the white wine to deglaze the pan.
- Then, add the sliced mushrooms and season with dried thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then remove from the pot and place on the plate with the bacon.
- If there’s any liquid from the mushrooms, drain it before adding the other tablespoon of butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add the minced shallot.
- Sweat the shallot for 5 minutes over medium-low heat until translucent.
- Next, add the rest of the white wine and the rice.
- Toast the rice until all the liquid has been absorbed, then add 1 warm cup of vegetable broth.
- Stir continuously until the broth has been absorbed, then repeat this process as you slowly add in the rest of the vegetable broth.
- Once all of the vegetable broth has been absorbed, add the bacon and mushrooms back to the pot.
- Stir in the freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Finally, serve with freshly chopped parsley and enjoy!