Get your sweet Fuji apples ready for this delicious grilled cheese sandwich with brie AND goat cheese! This cheesy sandwich with thin slices of apples drizzled in honey and topped with arugula is the perfect lunch to serve up this fall. Did we mention that it also includes homemade fig jam? Talk about the perfect sandwich!
Homemade Fig Jam
1 c. black figs
1 tbsp. almond milk
1 tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. cane sugar
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
6 pieces of sourdough bread
2 Fuji apples, thinly sliced
1 c. fresh arugula
1 c. goat cheese
9 slices of brie cheese
3 tbsp. honey
Butter to spread on the bread and for the pan
For the Homemade Fig Jam
1. Add the black figs to a food processor with the almond milk.
2. Pulse on high for 1 minute, and then scrape the edges and pulse again on low for 1 minute.
3. Next, add the coconut oil to a medium saucepan, and then add the fig paste from the food processor.
4. Then, add the water, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract to the pan.
5. Cook over medium heat, stirring until it starts to form a jam-like consistency, about 5 minutes.
6. Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl to cool for about 10 minutes.
For the Sandwich
1. Spread butter on the outer sides of 2 pieces of bread, and then spread a thick layer of fig jam on the insides of the bread.
2. Next, layer 3 slices of brie cheese on 1 slice of bread.
3. Place 3-4 slices of apple on top of the brie cheese, and then top with 1 tbsp. of honey.
4. Place 1/3 c. of goat cheese over the apples and then top with 1/3 of fresh arugula.
5. Add butter to a medium-sized pan to avoid burning and then place the sandwich in the pan.
6. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes and then flip, cooking for another 5 minutes.
7. Repeat for the other 2 sandwiches.