Are you ready to fall in love with the best gluten-free, nut-free carrot cake? Get your aprons ready because we’re diving right in!
Prep Time: 25 min | Cook Time: 35 min | Yield: 10 servings
2 1/4 c. gluten-free baking flour
3/4 c. almond flour, plus more for dusting
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cardamom
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. baking soda
5 large eggs, room temperature
1 c. light brown sugar
1/4 c. coconut palm sugar
1/4 c. almond milk
1/2 c. coconut oil, melted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. peeled and shredded carrots
1 c. unsweetened coconut shreds
1/2 c. golden raisins
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 c. gluten-free powdered sugar
1/4 c. plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and grease two 8” round cake pans, and then lightly dust with almond flour to prevent the cakes from sticking to the pans.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the baking flour, almond flour, sea salt, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, ground ginger, nutmeg and baking soda.
3. Stir together, and then set the dry ingredients to the side.
4. In another bowl, combine the eggs, brown sugar and coconut sugar using an electric mixer.
5. Beat with the electric mixer for 3-5 minutes on high until the mixture has doubled in size and is thick and creamy.
6. Next, add the almond milk and beat for 2 minutes before adding the melted coconut oil and vanilla extract.
7. Then, beat for another 2 minutes on medium speed.
8. Whisk in the shredded carrots, coconut and raisins.
9. Reduce the speed to low and beat in the dry ingredients, slowly adding a fourth of the ingredients at a time.
10. Use a spatula to pour the batter into the prepared pans, dividing evenly.
11. Bake the cakes for 33-35 minutes, and then allow to cool for 15 minutes before running a clean knife along the edges of the pan to release the cake.
12. Allow the cakes to cool outside of the pans on a wire rack for 45 minutes before frosting.
1. Allow the cream cheese and butter to come to room temperature before using an electric mixer on high speed to beat together.
2. Once combined, about 2 minutes, reduce the speed to medium and sift in the powdered sugar.
3. Beat for 2 minutes until smooth and creamy, and then add the Greek yogurt, vanilla extract and sea salt.
4. Use the electric mixer to combine until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
5. Refrigerate for 20 minutes before frosting.