Finding a delicious dessert that is gluten-free, vegan and refined sugar-free can be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Well, look no further because we have you covered with this cake recipe!
Prep Time: 25 min | Cook Time: 25 min | Yield: 12 servings
6 c. gluten-free baking flour, plus more for coating
2 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. sea salt
2 c. coconut oil, melted
1 c. honey
1/2 c. maple syrup
21/2 c. almond milk
4 vegan eggs
4 tsp. vanilla extract
Strawberries for garnish
1 c. raw cashews, presoaked
1/4 c. water, reserved from soaking the cashews
2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp. honey
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and grease four 8” round cake pans, and then lightly dust with almond flour to prevent the cakes from sticking to the pans.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the baking flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Next, add the melted coconut oil, honey and maple syrup to the dry ingredients.
4. Use an electric mixer to beat for 2 minutes until smooth.
5. Then, add the almond milk, vegan eggs and vanilla extract.
6. Beat for another 2 minutes until creamy.
7. Evenly pour the batter into the prepared baking pans.
8. Bake for 25-28 minutes and then allow the cakes to cool for 15 minutes.
9. Run a clean knife along the edges of each pan to release the cakes.
10. Allow to cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before frosting.
1. After soaking the cashews in warm water for at least 1 hour, add the cashews and 1/4 cup of the water to a blender.
2. Next, add the rest of the ingredients and blend for 1 minute.
3. Then, use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the blender.
4. Blend again for 1 minute, and repeat this process until smooth.
5. Store in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before frosting, ideally longer for best results.
Directions (Assemble Cake)
1. After the cake has cooled and the frosting has been chilled for at least an hour, start by spreading an even amount of frosting on the top of one cake.
2. Then, add the next cake and repeat the process until finished.
3. Top with fresh strawberries and store the cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Tip: frosting is best used to spread on top of stackable cakes. The consistency of the frosting is not as thick as traditional or store-bought brands and may not be thick enough to frost the cake in its entirety.