This mushroom risotto recipe goes “old school” with its traditional “stand and stir” technique. This approach may take a bit more time, but the results are well worth the effort.
When making this recipe, don’t be tempted to substitute other forms of rice because they won’t deliver the coveted rich, creamy texture you’re after. Most groceries stores carry Arborio rice, or you can easily find it online (link included below).
- 4 c. chicken or vegetable broth, heated
- 1 T. olive oil3 T. unsalted butter, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- ½ medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 oz. baby Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 4 oz. white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced1 t. dried thyme
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 c. Arborio rice
- ½ c. dry white wine
- ½ c. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 t. fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- In a small saucepan, heat chicken or vegetable broth until hot. Reduce heat to simmer and keep warm.
- Add olive oil, one tablespoon butter, and garlic to a large, high-sided skillet. Turn heat to medium and sauté for approximately one minute, or until garlic softens.
- Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes before adding the sliced mushrooms and dried thyme. Cook until mushrooms soften and release liquid, approximately 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Return pan to heat and add remaining butter. Add Arborio rice and sauté until thoroughly coated, approximately 1-2 minutes. Add white wine and stir constantly until wine is completely absorbed.
- Add one cup warm broth to pan and stir constantly until it is completely absorbed. Repeat with remaining broth, one cup at a time, until it is all incorporated and the rice has achieved a rich, creamy consistency, approximately 25-30 minutes. (For a creamier texture, add more broth until the desired results are achieved).
- Remove from heat and stir in the freshly grated Parmesan cheese and fresh rosemary. Add mushrooms and stir until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and fresh rosemary, if desired. Serve immediately. Enjoy!